ARGH! I hate my car!
11-13-2005, 03:05 PM
ARGH! I hate my car!
[Rant]
Just been out working on my Mini trying to get it ready for MOT after a total rebuild.

I bought it as a bare but rust free and resprayed shell with "99% of the parts needed to get it on the road, just need to find an engine"

This turned out to be a lie and I've had to source LOADS of new parts over the last two years. Not a real problem at least it means things are done right.

Problem is the previous owner bodged up the welding and paint. Its AWEFUL. At the time I bought it I was new to cars and didn't spot the tell tales. The paint falls off if you look at it funny! The welding is of the chicken shit variety, it has 3 layers of floor in some places and at least 2 sets of sills per side!

I've spent the morning getting tracking good enough to take to an expert after which I checked over the car for any signs of problems. I discovered the bootlids paint is coming off around the hinges and the sodding hinge panel is also. I've got cracking where the front wings meet the scuttle and the thing is gonna disintigrate into a pile of rust in about 3 years I reckon.
[/Rant]

Anyone see why I'm sick of Minis and wanna move on to the 86?
Find all posts by this user
11-13-2005, 04:06 PM
ARGH! I hate my car!
My brother use to own a mini years back and had the same problem. He also found them a pain to work on. Despite being quite nippy fun little cars, they can end up costing more than its worth. Dont expect your rust troubles to dissapear entirely with the 86 mind
11-13-2005, 04:08 PM
ARGH! I hate my car!
I'm all with you. The hatchi was my first *really* used car, and... well... let's not talk about it mkay?

Peugeot 206 1.6 XT - 09/2003
Toyota Corolla GT Coupé - 09/1984
Yonzie - 09/1980
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-13-2005, 04:41 PM
ARGH! I hate my car!
From the little ive seen 86's dont have the same chronic structural rust issues as the mini does. Ok the odd sill rots out on them but looks to be mainly wheel arches, and around windows that the problem lies...

With minis its sills, A panels Scuttle panels, Front panels, wings, valences boot floor, battery box rear wheel arches, rear side pockets, front footwells etc etc etc

God I wish I didnt love how it drives, and how it looks from 6 feet away (cant see cracks and nastyness) and the noise it makes! I'll get an up to date pic of it tomorrow I think.
11-13-2005, 04:50 PM
ARGH! I hate my car!
I will agree that minis are a lot of fun but (as bad as I feel saying it about the all time classic mini) you wont go back once you discover how simple an AE86 is to work on by comparison and how much fun they are to drive. I assure you Thumbs up!
11-13-2005, 04:59 PM
ARGH! I hate my car!
No arguments with them being a pig to work on. Half the jobs u need girly hands and arms to be able to reach anything.
11-13-2005, 06:06 PM
ARGH! I hate my car!
man, i used to have about 20 different minis, i now hate the fooking things, i promise i'll never own another english made car again, nothing personal (i also had loads of heartache with a few rovers i had, i only drive Jap now). Sell the Bastard and buy a set of tyres for your 86. ha ha, better yet, export it to Japan, they love them over there, swap it for an 86 ha ha ha
11-13-2005, 06:13 PM
ARGH! I hate my car!
WKD RWD Wrote:man, i used to have about 20 different minis, i now hate the fooking things, i promise i'll never own another english made car again, nothing personal (i also had loads of heartache with a few rovers i had, i only drive Jap now). Sell the Bastard and buy a set of tyres for your 86. ha ha, better yet, export it to Japan, they love them over there, swap it for an 86 ha ha ha

No offense taken. I only plan to ever go jap and may make an exception for german when im reaching my 50's Tongue

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  the reason why I hate pigeons DJexor 8 6,592 02-03-2007 11:54 PM
Last Post: a112
  It almost makes me hate Toyota... Mux213 5 4,826 09-02-2005 01:30 PM
Last Post: Jezza_hr