AE86 slow on the revs and hesitant.
06-22-2012, 12:09 AM
First of all, thanks for your replies guys! Smile

Secondly I need to clear up some things as I've been far to much in my own head when trying to explain things for you. I've physically checked that the #1 piston is at TDC when the crank pullie, cam gears and cam dimple line up as they should. When I wrote pullies what I meant was: Crank, alternator and water pump pullies. I haven't touched the cams, intake or anything mayor on the engine except the distributor, which is why I assumed that it must be a ignition problem but since I've set it where it should be and the car still runs like a piece of crap it "must" be something else?

Checked again and the car does enter diagnostic mode but the only change is that the "check engine" light starts to flash, no directly noticeable change to idle or timing. The light flashes 11 times which I found out through some googleing means that there's something wrong with the AC which I don't have.

The connections on the distributor cap has 1,2,3,4 molded in so I've put the respective cables on the corresponding number.

I've also ordered new sparkplugs, cables, distributor cap and rotor arm. Hopefully I will get them on friday so I can change it on sunday to see if it makes any changes.

And the oil thing was just something I got in my head and started to over-think Wink

Thanks for all your help again! Smile

// Johan
Find all posts by this user
06-22-2012, 01:18 AM
krullibull Wrote:First of all, thanks for your replies guys! Smile

Secondly I need to clear up some things as I've been far to much in my own head when trying to explain things for you. I've physically checked that the #1 piston is at TDC when the crank pullie, cam gears and cam dimple line up as they should. When I wrote pullies what I meant was: Crank, alternator and water pump pullies. I haven't touched the cams, intake or anything mayor on the engine except the distributor, which is why I assumed that it must be a ignition problem but since I've set it where it should be and the car still runs like a piece of crap it "must" be something else?

Checked again and the car does enter diagnostic mode but the only change is that the "check engine" light starts to flash, no directly noticeable change to idle or timing. The light flashes 11 times which I found out through some googleing means that there's something wrong with the AC which I don't have.

The connections on the distributor cap has 1,2,3,4 molded in so I've put the respective cables on the corresponding number.

I've also ordered new sparkplugs, cables, distributor cap and rotor arm. Hopefully I will get them on friday so I can change it on sunday to see if it makes any changes.

And the oil thing was just something I got in my head and started to over-think Wink

Thanks for all your help again! Smile

// Johan

Your car isn´t going into diagnosis mode.
Check again, Code 11 A/C switch and idle switch. Obviously you don´t have aircon, but if your idle switch is not closed your engine won't go into diagnosis mode and it will be impossible to set the timing right, had it before on mine, it drove like sh** Smile

Set up the TPS (Throttle position senseor) to the manual specs, all you need is a feeler gauge and a multimeter.

Almost 100% sure this should cure the problem and you should be able to set the timing right.

An old post covering the problem:
http://www.aeu86.org/viewtopic/4age-igni...ght=timing

1979 Toyota Corolla KE35
1983 Toyota Corolla AE86
1985 Toyota Corolla AE86
07-16-2012, 05:07 PM
Sorry that I took so long to reply.

Thanks to the tips I got from you guys I was able to get it running as is should Thumbs up!

All I had to do was:

Setup the TPS.
Change direction on the distributor drive gear.
Solder two cables which was on the verge of braking on the yellow plug from the distributor.
Change the sparkplugs, cables, rotor and distributor cap (not sure that this made any difference but it's nice with new stuff Smile)

So now I can go on my first driftday this weekend Smile

Thanks again for all your help! Respect! Would never have sorted that otherwise.

// Johan

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Engine starts/revs but no idle GenkiMotors 17 5,717 11-20-2021 04:12 AM
Last Post: GenkiMotors
  Slow tachometer problem. LHD AE86. Arima-kun 2 4,505 06-22-2014 11:17 PM
Last Post: Arima-kun
  Engine revs up/down on its own El_Camino 8 12,809 04-27-2014 05:49 PM
Last Post: Apsogos
  Revs going up and down... Okami 8 8,403 06-28-2012 07:25 PM
Last Post: Okami