AE86 booter
07-29-2020, 11:34 AM
AE86 booter
(07-23-2020 06:50 PM)Mylesmck Wrote:  Pics show examples of the two looks I like ... My she'll was originally red over black, or "Angry Panda" lol...but I do like the subtle lines of all white cars with black bumpers.
If I was repainting a car from the ground up, I'd try out different colors than what was originally offered, unless building a full-on restoration. You could try a yellow or orange panda or a pastel- and dark-contrast two-tone for a 70s vibe. Mint green, lavender or ochra come to mind as base colors.
Find all posts by this user
07-29-2020, 02:50 PM
AE86 booter
(07-29-2020 11:34 AM)decryphe Wrote:  
(07-23-2020 06:50 PM)Mylesmck Wrote:  Pics show examples of the two looks I like ... My she'll was originally red over black, or "Angry Panda" lol...but I do like the subtle lines of all white cars with black bumpers.
If I was repainting a car from the ground up, I'd try out different colors than what was originally offered, unless building a full-on restoration. You could try a yellow or orange panda or a pastel- and dark-contrast two-tone for a 70s vibe. Mint green, lavender or ochra come to mind as base colors.
I have considered orange over black, but thought it might be too similar to the ae86 monster that Driftworks built.... I also like the more subtle shades that you mention, but it's a way off yet so I'm not going to decide yet Big Grin

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk
07-29-2020, 05:39 PM
AE86 booter
How about some inspiration of the other two-tones from that era like the Silvia s13's?
07-29-2020, 05:43 PM
AE86 booter
(07-29-2020 02:50 PM)Mylesmck Wrote:  I have considered orange over black, but thought it might be too similar to the ae86 monster that Driftworks built.... I also like the more subtle shades that you mention, but it's a way off yet so I'm not going to decide yet Big Grin

Metallic orange over gunmetal grey is also a great combo.
07-31-2020, 10:40 PM (This post was last modified: 07-31-2020 10:44 PM by Mylesmck.)
AE86 booter
I don't know if you can see, but there's a repair there so I thought I'd better check everything was straight; don't want to be driving with one wheel cocked in the air

Anyways, the nearside chassis leg is attached 8mm lower than the other and at the bumper end it's 2mm higher

I didn't need this.... [Image: AEU86 AE86 - AE86 booter]

Coincidentally, a chap a few miles from me stuck an ad on fbook with chassis rails perfectly drilled out.... complete with strut tower and inner wing, so I'm broke now till payday again...

Never mind, on I go today fitting the repair sections.. take it easy on my welds lol[Image: AEU86 AE86 - AE86 booter][Image: AEU86 AE86 - AE86 booter][Image: AEU86 AE86 - AE86 booter]

08-01-2020, 01:11 AM
AE86 booter
...next on the agenda, once the outrigger and floor section are fitted is to fab a perfectly straight and true chassis bench. Obviously (?) I should have thought of this sooner, but hey, she'd already been cut up, so as I see it, so long as the front and rear suspension mounting points line up, and the doors all open and close without letting in daylight, I should be good.

This is, after all, a learning experience for me. As I see it, any of the work I've done so far has been of a standard at least as good as your average cut-and-shut shop (and mostly better).

Now, has anybody any suggestions as regards the materials required to build said chassis bench? I'm looking at either 100x50 box or small H-beam. The chassis measurements are available here in the site, but I have still to determine the pick-up/mounting points. H-beam is harder to work with as it's heavy and will be hard to store when I'm done with it, whereas I could re-use the box section....but which has more torsional strength? Answers on a postcard please to "shouldn't be let loose with a grinder, nevermind a welder at cheap tools dot com"

08-01-2020, 11:18 AM
AE86 booter
OEM axle/lsd complete with springs, links, calipers, shafts...[Image: AEU86 AE86 - AE86 booter]

08-02-2020, 02:09 PM (This post was last modified: 08-02-2020 07:04 PM by Mylesmck.)
AE86 booter
Doors, not mint but rust-free with glass & hardware...[Image: AEU86 AE86 - AE86 booter][Image: AEU86 AE86 - AE86 booter]

Doors test fitted just to make sure shell's not completely twisted lol, nearside is bang-on, driver side can be closed if lifted....part due to a worn hinge, but I noticed when closed that the top of the a-pillar seems to sit slightly proud. I may need to exert some pressure between the b-pillar and the top of the bulkhead which would lower the front edge of the roof but also lower the front end.....
... further investigation required. Note: there's still the hole in the driver's foot well and the outrigger is not fitted. These are all structural parts so I might be best holding off on any more welding until I have it fastened down straight...[Image: AEU86 AE86 - AE86 booter][Image: AEU86 AE86 - AE86 booter][Image: AEU86 AE86 - AE86 booter]

I had already measured the diagonals across the two door openings and found they were out by roughly a centimeter

08-03-2020, 10:41 AM
AE86 booter
That's a ton of work going into this chassis! I'm impressed.
08-03-2020, 09:23 PM
AE86 booter
(08-02-2020 02:09 PM)Mylesmck Wrote:  I had already measured the diagonals across the two door openings and found they were out by roughly a centimeter
You mean the roofline is skewed to one end?

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - AE86 booter]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My 20v booter project diggerdolan 2 5,103 10-01-2012 04:45 PM
Last Post: zenki