AE86 Oxygen Sensor help...
01-05-2005, 01:48 AM
Thanks for trying to understand my problems. The last thing I wanna do is grenade the engine. I will see if alex can find anything out for me.

I see I have 3 options available.

1. Get a Freedom connection cable and the UK software. Take a trip over to option motorsport near silverstone and see if kiki can make any sense of it. Then learn to read Japanese - or as much as I need to know for the mapping software... All the numbers are just numbers which is good Hurray! its just the headings. I dont think the freedom software runs on the english version of windows too well if at all.

2. Take out the ECU and sell it. Replace it with a megasquirt system which a friend will help me to integrate. For this I think (but am not toally sure) I initially need a stock 4AGE ecu to perform ignition as the megasquirt will initially only control fuel until we do that part too.

3. Take out the ECU and sell it. Get Steve Simpson to come and build me me a nice loom and install what he recommends ECU wise.

I just want to be as near as 100% sure its running correctly.

Regards Ian.
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - AE86 Oxygen Sensor help...]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-05-2005, 11:21 AM
4) put an add in the local paper asking a local Japanese to help you out?

Would be such a shame to spend loads of money on putting a new ECU in if you have a very good system with a language problem. As you said, make some screenshots of the software, print them out, and have someone write the english words in them and you should be able to use the software just fine.

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
Find all posts by this user
01-05-2005, 11:39 AM
Sadly though, ecu systems arent that easy to understand, even when they are in plain old english...
I expressed my concerns about that in an earlier thread; I thought it would be unworkable, others displayed less concern. Maybe one of them could help you out? If I remember correctly, Rikard seemed to have the neccesary contacts to translate the software and manual. Could be something you both benefit from as he was planning to buy the same ECU somewhere down the line.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
01-06-2005, 07:20 PM
Some good news Hurray! Hurray! Hurray!

Yesterday I was put in contact with an ex-toyota engineer who has 12 years knowledge of the 4AGE/4AGZE motor - and best of all he is based in Derby the same is me.

He has noted several things about my car.

The o2/lamba is not active. The car is 100% mapped on TPS.

The TPS is actually mounted on the wrong end of the ITBs compared to how they would be on a 20v. This is because there is no room with the waterway running back into the head

But the good news is there is no major problems with the engine.

What he did find is the base timing was about 34degrees. The noise was det.

One of two things have happened - somehow the timing side of the dizzy has come lose and moved. The cam belt has jumped a tooth (unlikely with the amount it was out by). Timing has been set back to just above standard and the car is running like a dream again !!!

He is having a closer look when we do fairly extensive servicing next week (Fuel filter, Oil, Oil filter, Water system flush and new Coolant, Plugs, All drive belts, Cam Pulleys, Alternator, Tranny fluid, Diff knockback check, Diff fluid and new pumpkin seals)

Hes not sure about the cams until its opened up but then he will at least be able to check all springs, clearences etc. Hes also gonna test the injectors, fuel pressure reg etc.

Thumbs up!

Regards Ian.
01-06-2005, 07:26 PM
lucky bastard
01-06-2005, 08:53 PM
Holy crap, man you are lucky!Smile

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
01-06-2005, 09:42 PM
Omg! You're one helluva lucky hachiowner! Smile

01-06-2005, 11:07 PM
I think luck doesn't describe it !!!

I do feel very very happy tonight.

so happy in fact I'm just about to go for 'pleasure drive' Wink

ah...slippery winter UK roads Thumbs up!

Regards Ian.
01-07-2005, 01:15 AM
Ian.G Wrote:I think luck doesn't describe it !!!

I do feel very very happy tonight.

so happy in fact I'm just about to go for 'pleasure drive' Wink

ah...slippery winter UK roads Thumbs up!
Bring your video camera! Thumbs up!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lambda sensor wiring sam3007 10 3,166 05-23-2022 10:00 PM
Last Post: The Doctor
  AE86 Engine Coolant Temp Sensor izanagi 8 18,971 09-06-2014 05:47 PM
Last Post: izanagi
  Hall sensor totta Crolla 7 7,578 02-28-2014 10:07 AM
Last Post: Ivan141
  Video : Adjust the TPS (Throttle Pos Sensor) on the 4A-GE Homem Bomba 3 9,407 10-25-2013 05:13 PM
Last Post: Apsogos
  1/8 BSPT adapter for oil pressure sensor Dino86 4 6,557 06-15-2013 12:34 PM
Last Post: S.K.