ADSL Problem
11-23-2005, 09:01 PM
ADSL Problem
I heard they were going to raise the downloadspeed limit in the netherlands.I have planet internet comfort and i could download around 330 kb per second and upload around 70.

I read that downloadspeed should be doubled to 6000 kbit a second.

Now the problem, yesterday adsl was out, probably because they had to change the speeds at the provider or something.Today internet is working again but i can only download with 170 kb per second.

I logged into my moden and it says:
Bandwidth Up/Down (Kbit/sec) 704 / 1952

I did some searching but no one has the problem i have,maybe some people here have the same problem?Or maybe they do have an increase in speed unlike me.

So is this temporarly or should i contact my provider?

Real men race downhill
Find all posts by this user
11-23-2005, 09:40 PM
ADSL Problem
You were probably disconnected because they were replacing equipment. They can raise and lower your speed on-the-fly.

Please, be consistent with your MB/Mb/Mbit/etc. I don't understand what you're writing about speeds...
1Byte = 8 bits
1kbit/sec = 1/8kB/sec
1kB/sec = 1kiloByte/sec = 8kbit/sec
CAPITAL B = Bytes
lowercase b = bits
To ensure everyone understands me, I write kB for kiloBytes and kbit for kilobits, just like your modem does.

"Before" you had 3Mbit download speed and 600kbit upload?
And you're supposed to get double that?

They probably have a status page where they detail problems with their network. Check that for any mention of the outage yesterday. If it doesn't mention anything about equipment getting replaced/upgraded, you should contact them.
If they replaced something, wait a week or so so that they have a chance to fix your problem, then call and bitch at them.

Peugeot 206 1.6 XT - 09/2003
Toyota Corolla GT Coupé - 09/1984
Yonzie - 09/1980
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-23-2005, 09:58 PM
ADSL Problem
Hmmm, sounds like they downgraded your account. Did you contact your provider? Dumb question

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - ADSL Problem]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-23-2005, 10:14 PM
ADSL Problem
sorry about the bits and bytes man!

All i know is this.a week ago when i connected to my modem and use the statistics feature it used to say :

Bandwidth Up/Down (Kbit/sec) 768 / 3200

but now it says Bandwidth Up/Down (Kbit/sec) 704 / 1952

The provider says it should become 768 / 6000.

I think i will bitch at them tomorrow or friday, i am not going to pay the same for slower speeds ofcourse.I know they announced a speed upgrade but my speed went down.

It don`t know if this is temporarly or if someone else experienced this?Maybe it goes up in the oncoming days or something?

Real men race downhill
11-23-2005, 10:15 PM
ADSL Problem
I had a similiar problem
I got a letter from planet that i had to switch provider (i was using tiscali). In the letter they sad 'OH it's so easy just go to this website and type in the username and password whe have given you in this letter and then you have switch to us with DOUBLE your current speed'.
But in fact it wasn't that easy because after i did what the letter told me to do I DIDN"T HAVE INTERNET FOR 3 DAYS!!! It was only after a mad phone call to the helpdesk of planet that i finnaly got my internet back but with my old speed (3.2 mb/s) They never told me the reason why it didn't work as it suppose to. Today my internet connection failed yet again (still with old speed) i reboot the router and then I FINNALY got the duoble speed that i wanted.
so it's problay just a mather of time before you get your duoble speed but as i found out shouting at a helpdesk person does wonders.