'84 AE86
03-13-2007, 01:46 AM
'84 AE86
Bought this at the very end of February. 1984 SR5. I noticed this car around several months before I actually bought it, and wanted it right when I first saw it. My cousin started working at the local budweiser distributer, which the guy who owned it worked, and he told me he was wanting to sell it. I quickly made a phone call, and a week later ended up buying it for $800.
The guy had no clue what he had.

Overall it's in great shape. Paint is good, minus a couple little surface spots of rust where some paint chips are, and the very top of the hatch is getting quite rusty, but I plan on changing out the hatch eventually anyway, so I'm not too concerned about that right now. It did have a fuel leak, you could smell gas real bad, turned out to be the fuel pump was leaking extremely bad. Changed that out, now I no longer smell gas. Has 110,xxx original miles on the 4A-C Everything works in it, interior was in good shape, just highly dirty.

I since stripped out the interior, and tossed the carpets. They were disgusting. After a good rain, accompanied by steady 50mph winds, with gusts to 80-90, I noticed a little water pooled up where the back seats would be, and at the very back of the inside of the trunk. I have circled in the pics where I noticed the water dripping in. Probably an easy fix.

I'm CRAVING a GT-S conversion. I've read up on it, and it's going to be quite involved. Basically I'll need a donor car. Once I get that, the swap over should be a breeze, hopefully. Hard part, is tracking down a donor. There's a guy here, with an '85 GT-S Coupe, he's wanting to sell it, and I'm trying my damndest to buy it off of him. It's 4A-GE needs valve guides, it smokes a bit, and something for it's idleing. It idles way high when first started. His GT-S is the perfect donor. It's a coupe for one, I don't really care to have a coupe, like the liftback way more. The interior isn't in as good of shape as mine is, and things along that line. Anyways, here's a few pics. I'd get some better shots of the vehicle itself, but the weather has been shitty all weekend and today.

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - '84 AE86]

Here's the leaks that I've found thus far.
And where it ends up.

Let me know what you guys think, along with suggestions and whatever else. I'm sure
I'll be needing some help come time to do the conversion.
Find all posts by this user
03-13-2007, 07:12 AM
'84 AE86
The leaks that you have circled will be caused by rust, so its a matter of removing trim around the side windows and fixing it, depending on how bad the rust is you may need to remove the side window/s, the boot leak will also be caused by rust, remove the rubber seal, you will most likely find that its rusted in more than one spot, possibly along the top down the sides, and above the tail lights and around the latch of the boot lid.

Corolla Levin SR 1984 AE-85 (Project car)
Corolla Runx Z 2002 (Runabout)
03-13-2007, 09:47 AM
'84 AE86
Nice find mate!!

Looks like you have alittle rust repair to do but nothing major. Get that out of the way first because once these cars start to rust....

GTS conversion would be nice if you have a donor. Do note that high idling when the engine is still cold is normal for a hachi roku.Mine idles at 2000rpm and gently idles off to a comfy 800 once warmed up. Still if you're getting the engine out of the car and need to fix up the valve's anyways, it's not to much more trouble checking the rest of the engine out and making sure you get some nice fresh parts in there. In the end, a replacement engine can be found easier then a whole donor car. You need the donor mostly for all the other bits Smile

Good luck!

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
03-13-2007, 05:35 PM
'84 AE86
Nice one! Thumbs up!

Please do keep in mind you need the wireloom of the GTS as well since the SR5 loom is different. I don't know if you need the whole loom, or if you have enough if you only have the engine part.

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-14-2007, 12:17 AM
'84 AE86
banpei Wrote:Nice one! Thumbs up!

Please do keep in mind you need the wireloom of the GTS as well since the SR5 loom is different. I don't know if you need the whole loom, or if you have enough if you only have the engine part.

Oh yeah. That's why I'm trying to get that GT-S off this guy here. It runs, has everything I need to do the conversion. Those rust spots worry me, but they're seriously not that bad. I've seen WAY worse on some eight-sixes here. I'm sure it's nothing to repair since they look so minor.
04-06-2007, 01:24 AM
'84 AE86
Well, I think I'm going to go a different route with this. I'm not giving up on the car, but I'm thinking of not doing a 4AGE / GTS conversion. I'm thinking something totally different.

My buddy in North Carolina, is putting a 400hp, LS1 Corvette engine into his Cressida.
I'm seriously wanting to put a Ford 302 V8 in my eight six. I have a buddy here, that has a '92 notch back mustang he's been hopping up for a while, so he knows his way around mustangs, and 302's, and his buddy, is heavy into drag racing, does his own work, and knows his way around engines as well. So, with their help, I'm sure I can do this. Anything is possible. It's just a matter of figuring out what's going to be needed. I know the SR5 rear end will NOT hold up to a 220hp 302. Not sure if the Corolla GTS rear end and axles would hold up to it or not, and if not, then something may need to be custom back there.

If anyone here can give me some input on this, suggestions, etc, then please chime in.
04-06-2007, 01:30 AM
'84 AE86
Trust me man.. dont go there. That would really need a shoehorn to fit, and it would destroy everything the 86 stands for (balance, lightfootedness), not too mention give you serious headaches regarding your brake system and driveline.

Want an easy swap that'll give more power than a 4age? Throw in a nissan CA18DET.. I've seen how little work it takes to adapt the engine mounts, all you need to do is relocate the shifter hole, redo the wiring and have the driveshaft shortened. (and rework the fuelsystem offcourse).

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
04-06-2007, 02:04 AM
'84 AE86
Ok, so if I do the CA18DET, I'd still need the GTS rear end correct? And have to convert to fuel injection. I can buy 4AGE's all day long on ebay, that are sitting here in the states, but the trick is finding alllll the other crap I need to get it up and running. I'd be in the same boat with the CA18DET, but like you said, I'd be able to pull more power out of the nissan engine.

Oh, one other thing. RIGHT next door to me, in the backyard, sits a first generation MR2. Those have 4AGE's in them. What from that car would I be able to use on mine? It's been sitting there for at least two years, and I've been meaning to ask them about it.
04-06-2007, 09:38 AM
'84 AE86
wheelow Wrote:Oh, one other thing. RIGHT next door to me, in the backyard, sits a first generation MR2. Those have 4AGE's in them. What from that car would I be able to use on mine? It's been sitting there for at least two years, and I've been meaning to ask them about it.

You can use the engine (you just need the AE86 style intake manifold/exhaust header). You can use this engine + low-boost setup if up to 200hp are enough to you (stock gearbox and rear end will live with these power levels). The low-boost setup for stock engine is discussed already - use search function of the board :wink:
06-18-2007, 02:48 AM
'84 AE86
Updated pics finally. Got all dash pieces in black, I just need an actual black dash pad. Aftermarket seats installed, on custom brackets. JDM Zenki bumper, JDM rear bumper, JDM fender signals, JDM bumper signals, Trueno bumper emblem, Supra rims. I just need to get some lower profile narrower tires for them. I just need a nice set of JDM Sprinter tails. Oh, and the Zenki grill (good luck).