4agZe problem solved - 99% IC problem
07-02-2012, 08:07 AM
bozu Wrote:I'm hearing a turbo swap Evil

That's what I'd do tbh and what I am actually doing with my rebuilt GZE. You can get better power out of a turbo, it's just far more efficient. HKS cast manifolds are not expensive. Sure there are a few things to sort out, but it's very possible.

1985 Sprinter Trueno GT Apex
2013 GT86 Miltek Exhaust, Injen Induction.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-02-2012, 08:30 AM
@Lauren: The bearing I was referring to is in the pulley, not the SC. Found a thread on Club4AG that mentions someone having the bearing in the pulley replaced, so that would be the first thing I'd check out before investing in turbo misery. If you watch the video you'll notice the frequency of the noise following the speed of the pulley, not the speed of the SC input shaft. The SC isn't turning anywhere near fast enough to be making that racket.

If you ask me turbo's are a one way ticket to continuous problems for us unknowledgeable punters. But maybe that's just my personal experience with them clouding my judgment.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
07-02-2012, 09:16 AM
Thanks guys for all your input...

I will see when its a bit colder outside (as I cant stand the heat / sun) And then I will try to get the SC pulley off.
Tho I have no idea how to do this. But I will try.

I have to first loosen up the waterpump pulley? And then in between the oil dipstick use a 14 wrench head to loosen up the belt...
Then loosen up the charger pulley and just pull it off?
What about the connector that goes in the charger... I am a bit scared lol.

Its either fixing this - or buy the SC unit from the Fiance/Lauren (but thats also a lot of money in my opinion - or indeed GO TURBO!

edit: did some research on how to get the pulley off but thats not fun. I dont have a garage either... So this is gonna suck even harder!

-DWG- Drift Wolf Gaming
Find all posts by this user
07-02-2012, 10:01 AM
99% sure that your charger clutch is broken. It should not spin like that. quite usual to brake it when BIG pulley and old charger it cannot handle the spin. you can order "aftermarket" pulley to it. some aus company make them. many size...
07-02-2012, 11:15 AM
corolla4agze Wrote:99% sure that your charger clutch is broken. It should not spin like that. quite usual to brake it when BIG pulley and old charger it cannot handle the spin. you can order "aftermarket" pulley to it. some aus company make them. many size...

Thanks dude - yeah - I did tighten the belt in the past but not TOO HARD! And I also have a bigger crankshaft pulley but its smaller than those NST or FENSPORT pulleys because I wanted just a little bit more power to keep my engine SAFE... And not go overboard.

So now I need to figure out what belt size I need to buy so I can just drive around with normal 4age spec Smile then at least I can drive.

And then I might look into the pulley.bros. pulley.
Tho I have no idea how to install that shit...

-DWG- Drift Wolf Gaming
07-02-2012, 01:20 PM
I do have the Endevor (HKS copycat) Crankshaft pulley still on there (its 157mm - nothing big)

I hope I can combine it with the Pulley bros 103mm clutched pulley.
Hope its not too much then... (this will be max I read on the internet).
Cant go any further.

-DWG- Drift Wolf Gaming
07-02-2012, 06:22 PM
What I am going to do now is try and the supercharger pulley off.

Then buy a smaller belt so I can run the car without the supercharger.

Then after that I can see what's wrong with the supercharger pulley.

-DWG- Drift Wolf Gaming
07-02-2012, 09:36 PM
Seriously your best bet is to remove the supercharger unit itself.

If it did sound like a lawnmower, it's likely the gears are gone possibly from running low on oil.

Whilst it is off you can check the vanes to check they are okay.

Trouble is if any bearing is gone inside the unit, it will be scrap effectively.

Fingers crossed it's the clutch!

07-02-2012, 09:50 PM
Thanks Lauren... Is it difficult to remove the supercharger and can I still drive my car without it?

Because there's a world-record attempt this saturday where I need to go with my car.

Can anybody give me any tips / pointers?

What I am gonna do tomorrow I hope is - get a belt to run the waterpump + crankshaft pulley + tensioner.

Remove the SC pulley and maybe after that I can remove the SC unit.

Please let me know what's possible?

-DWG- Drift Wolf Gaming
07-02-2012, 10:16 PM
I'd say on an AE86 it'll be a lot easier to remove the SC than it is on an AW11! It's a bit fiddly, but you ought to be okay.

But, in terms of removing it and being able to drive the car, the problem you have is that you'll have a whopping big gap between where the supercharger was. Unless you make a pipe that connects the throttle body to the manifold.

Depends how 'handy' you are.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AE86 Driveshaft too long? [SOLVED] MyCrazyGarage 12 5,185 07-28-2022 10:48 PM
Last Post: banpei
  4agze wiring problem leon205gti 15 20,639 01-21-2017 09:19 PM
Last Post: leon205gti
  Questions about brake boosters and master cylinders---SOLVED T_AE86 17 23,041 02-02-2012 07:54 PM
Last Post: T_AE86
  [4AGE] ignition timing problem -> SOLVED !! eg6maxx 16 47,602 05-17-2011 11:48 AM
Last Post: eg6maxx
  4AGZE problem...I Need help please guys ash16valve 6 6,254 12-11-2009 04:48 PM
Last Post: ash16valve