4AGE. Is it worth the trouble?
12-04-2008, 04:42 AM
Hey

Got a hatchi Levin with a 4AGE 16v standard motor in it.
What i want to do is turbocharge it.
The question is, will it handle 200++ horsepower or are there any defects with this engine that would give me alot of problems by turbocharging it?
The engine is abit worn out for starters, so new sleeves, pistons and machining would be required anyhow.

See picture for engine referance.

Does anyone have experience with a turbosetup on a standard 4AGE engine? What did you do? Where did you order your parts? What DIDNT you do?

In short terms. I want to make this
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - 4AGE. Is it worth the trouble?]

Go like this

Results may variate.

Alternative is to get a hold of a 20v Blacktop and turbocharge that one.
What does AEU86 say? Tips hints and tricks are always welcome.

In advance. Thanks

Kp62 - 135hp
Ae86 - 135hp
C32 Laurel - 440hp
C32 Laurel - 125hp

Find all posts by this user
12-04-2008, 07:06 AM
If you're going to be machining the engine anyway I wouldn't waste the time with building a stock motor. Either get a standard 4agze or the AE101 4agze since they were built for boost in the first place. Both blocks have built internals, lower compression, and both blocks are also the stronger 7-rib type versus your 3-rib weaker internal stock engine. Just a humble opinion... Smile

-Brandon
12-04-2008, 10:29 AM
If you would like to have that kind of power count on upgrading of:
- diff
- gearbox
- clutch
- fuel pump

So basicly it's cheaper and more simple to put in some other engine (discused in other topics).

Drifting - best fun you can have in your car with your pants on!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-04-2008, 09:10 PM
I've been told that the 4AGE blacktop would be great turbocharging?
I know about the 4AGZE, but i've had a hard time getting a hold of one.

Does the ZE fit the original engine mounts?

Zax : The diff is alreayd a 2-way Greddy LSD.
Gearbox is under planning.
Planning changing clutch to either a custom Kewlar clutch/Sinter.

Fuel pump will be upgraded when the car gets megasquirted. Smile

Right now i just need to know what engine i'm getting so that i can start working on the car.

Suspensionwork got ordered "again" yesterday.

Big Brake Kit
Short Shift Kit
Prothane Total Bushing Kit
Front Strut Tower Brace + Tri-Bar COMBO
Traction Brackets
Lower Control Arms
Tension Control Rods
Outer Tie Rods

Kp62 - 135hp
Ae86 - 135hp
C32 Laurel - 440hp
C32 Laurel - 125hp

12-04-2008, 09:45 PM
Well - im in the same boat Smile

I thought about getting GZE motor - but to find it in Europe - its like finding a needle in the middle of the field...

I vent over way - bought 4AGZE pistons (new from dealers cost around 86euro for a piston) bought 4AGZE rods (found the used, but in perfect condition for a 130 euros) Cometics head gasket, ARP head Studs, CT20b Turbo from ST205 celica (Ball bearing), new original rings, will machine block anyway, so all the ACL rod / main bearings and all the internal parts will go into it Smile Injectors from Supra 440cc, FPR - Mallory, Inline pump from Mallory, Swirl pot - for the fuel system. For the ECU - MegaSquirt v3 along with the 4 ignition coils...

Will see how it goes, if weak 7AFE can handle 1 bar boost (with stock internals without overhaul and with 100K + km done), and perform for 25K km with some extreme pushing on it - i bet 4AGE with GZE internals will hold it too...

Be sure to look up for upgrading gearbox too - cuz it will brake for sure.. Im looking for 300hp setup and will see how it goes in spring Smile

Ex-owner of JDM 83' Trueno Coupe
DCw Classic, classic cars restoration,
JDM wheels & parts import, sales.

http://www.facebook.com/DogCustomWorks
+37067170000
12-04-2008, 09:51 PM
doggy Wrote:Well - im in the same boat Smile

I thought about getting GZE motor - but to find it in Europe - its like finding a needle in the middle of the field...

I vent over way - bought 4AGZE pistons (new from dealers cost around 86euro for a piston) bought 4AGZE rods (found the used, but in perfect condition for a 130 euros) Cometics head gasket, ARP head Studs, CT20b Turbo from ST205 celica (Ball bearing), new original rings, will machine block anyway, so all the ACL rod / main bearings and all the internal parts will go into it Smile Injectors from Supra 440cc, FPR - Mallory, Inline pump from Mallory, Swirl pot - for the fuel system. For the ECU - MegaSquirt v3 along with the 4 ignition coils...

Will see how it goes, if weak 7AFE can handle 1 bar boost (with stock internals without overhaul and with 100K + km done), and perform for 25K km with some extreme pushing on it - i bet 4AGE with GZE internals will hold it too...

Be sure to look up for upgrading gearbox too - cuz it will brake for sure.. Im looking for 300hp setup and will see how it goes in spring Smile

Hey there.

Thats alot of good information. Thanks.
I'm thinking of upgrading the gearbox as well. A local Toyota tuner is pushing me for installing an older type Supra gearbox. But i think that would mean alot of interiour chassis modifications.

Any suggestions? This might become a project thread. ^^

Kp62 - 135hp
Ae86 - 135hp
C32 Laurel - 440hp
C32 Laurel - 125hp

12-04-2008, 10:04 PM
W50 W55 gearbox form a supra works great in the hachi. Btw I woudln't turbo charge a 20v. Rather NA tune it or get a good lower block and build a low compression turbo engine 16v.

Cars:
"99 Lexus IS200
"86 AE86 Kouki Panda Levin GT-Apex (restore project)
"84 AE86 Zenki Blue Levin (project racer)
Motorcycles:
"02 Yamaha R1
"02 Honda Hornet S
"08 BMW R1200GS
12-04-2008, 10:09 PM
Dont know about w55 / w50 - i vent with Altezza SXE10 6 speed transmision, cuz i got it for free Big Grin Anyway - custom belhousing would need to be done installing what ever gearbox you want, and Clutch need to be done too...

Ex-owner of JDM 83' Trueno Coupe
DCw Classic, classic cars restoration,
JDM wheels & parts import, sales.

http://www.facebook.com/DogCustomWorks
+37067170000
12-05-2008, 07:55 AM
Gnugfur Wrote:I've been told that the 4AGE blacktop would be great turbocharging?
I know about the 4AGZE, but i've had a hard time getting a hold of one.

Does the ZE fit the original engine mounts?

Gearbox is under planning.

Small port red top and silver top are both 7 rib, I believe that the black top is only 5 rib, but I'd have to look it up. Any of them will be a stronger block than the stock 3 rib.

You could buy a silver top or small port red top and swap the internals to turbo friendly parts, low comp pistons, and turbo rods. If you go with the red top or silver top rods I think they might hold up to boost as well, but do some research first.

Any of the above will fit when using the RWD engine mounts. For the red top you should be able to pretty much strip your rwd motor to a short block and re-use your components on the FWD small port. If you decide to use the small port head you will need a TVIS eliminator adapter to bolt the RWD intake manifold to the FWD head. The exhaust side is the same RWD and FWD.

For gearbox the most popular route is using a W series transmission such as a w56 or w58. You will need a custom bell housing like the one out of the Philippines made by Rhett (Toycoolrolla on club4ag and hachiroku.net). From what I've seen fitment isn't perfect but it's good enough unless you can find a different source. If you want to go with an AZ6 (Altezza, Mazdaspeed Miata, RXCool transmission you'll also have to get a custom transmission made, get the one made by CBY, or this custom one.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showth...p?t=255822

-Brandon
12-07-2008, 11:04 PM
would the standard rods from a low torque 4age not be strong enough wit forged pistons?
Just wondering if u turbo charged a 4age standard engine low torque and used high octane fuel 105 or something and used engine management uprated injectors etc would it be able to withstand being boosted or supercharged?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Effects of valve lift - worth it going higher? harkes 18 15,417 03-17-2014 09:21 PM
Last Post: oldeskewltoy
  Is used TRD exhaust header worth ~200e ? Uzelac 10 18,038 04-22-2011 10:40 PM
Last Post: Uzelac
  gearbox trouble fax0815 2 4,204 02-17-2011 03:18 AM
Last Post: fax0815
  Rotary AE86. Worth it? someassemblyrequired 5 9,114 05-13-2010 12:51 PM
Last Post: someassemblyrequired
  Differential issue - extreme huge trouble MartinS 10 21,164 04-27-2010 10:17 AM
Last Post: irishtwincam