3S-GE and Lexus Gearbox
03-04-2009, 10:02 PM
3S-GE and Lexus Gearbox
Got this baby right here:

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - 3S-GE and Lexus  Gearbox]

To match the Gearbox i had laying around in the shop, a Lexus IS200 one

I was kinda excited I could go ahead with a 3S-GE project on my extra 86 shell but when I started things came to a halt...

Pics show the plate of the Celica 3S-GE and Lexus bellhousing underneath it, red holes are the ones that fit AND most importantly keep the shaft aligned with thhe clutch. Yellow holes are for the starter, the Celica one fits OK, minor problem is the plate is offset, but doable. Green holes are way to far to fit in the block Sad

So, before I start spending money and time on fabricating if anyone can help me out with some pointers I would be very thankfull.

Also:
Celica clutch dont match Lexus shaft!
-Will a Lexus IS200 clutch fit the 3S flywheel?
-Will a JDM Altezza gearbox fit THIS engine?

Thank you for your help Wink

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-05-2009, 12:38 AM
3S-GE and Lexus Gearbox
- have no clue
- yes

you'd want a bellhousing from a RWD 2C Diesel engine to mate with a W58 gearbox. OR find an Altezza RS200 6 speed gearbox from the blacktop beams. OR a gearbox from a 1S driven Carina SA60.

but all 3 of those options are rare as rocking horse poo Sad

"It's all about the heart, the people who focus on parts, turbo's and all that stuff...they're just losers."
-Shinji Minowa
Find all posts by this user
03-08-2009, 12:11 AM
3S-GE and Lexus Gearbox
Or just buy a whole SA60:
http://page4.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/d92952505
5500 euro! Huh

Perhaps this option is a bit more sane:
http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=29308

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-08-2009, 02:43 AM
3S-GE and Lexus Gearbox
ok you need a bellhousing off a rs200 altezza that uses the 3sge beams motor or you can try to find a sa63 celica with a 2s bellhousing or a 3y as well and use the supra gear box like w57 or w58 to suit and would need a 2s sump from a rear wheel drive celica and 2 s engine mounts and oil pick up etc
03-08-2009, 02:45 AM
3S-GE and Lexus Gearbox
and i can get you parts like 2s bellhousing etc if you are after them
03-23-2009, 07:50 PM
3S-GE and Lexus Gearbox
Wouldn't it be easier if he just machine up a plate to match the gearbox and the motor ?
03-25-2009, 04:07 PM
3S-GE and Lexus Gearbox
the IS200 gearbox comes off the back of a 1gfe, its quite interesting any of the bolts line up. not surprising given how toyota seem to do things. but yeah, wouldnt have expected it to work.

the version of 3s that you have is a gen1 na.

this means that no, not even a BEAMS rwd 3sge flywheel will work with your motor.

it will work with almost every other version of 3s except the gen 1.

your stock flywheel should work though? i have a gen1 na i will use in a rwd car at some point.

im planning to use the stock flywheel, its actually one of the more rwd friendly standard 3s flywheels, as the ring gear teach are cut the correct way for orientation of the rwd starter (beside the engine, rather than above the gearbox, like most other 3s's)

the only problem with it is the lack of spigot bearing. with the factory rwd bell housing/transmission arrangements you can get to work with a 3s, the input shaft wont protrude far enough to locate in the spigot bearing if you just put one in the end of the crank like in a 4age.

pretty simple solution is to just buy a wider bearing you can press into the crank which will protrude out of the crank a little further. this is a method a few aussies have used, seems a little crude, but seems to work.

for transmission, i wouldnt really recommend an sxe10 az6 (rs200) the transmissions do have great ratios, but the shape of the intergrated bellhousing will necessitate modifying the tunnel.

i will be using an sa63 celica gearbox and bellhousing. this is a direct bolt on set up, coming off the back of a 2sc engine. its a W55 tranny. obviously compatible with any other W box though.

the other option used he in oz is a bellhousing off the back of an Y series engine powered car. so for example YR22 ect tarago.

the the 3Y (and any other Y series engine) has the same bolt pastern as for S series engines, save for one bolt (one of the larger m12s from the top) but seeing as the other 3 main ones line up and also the dowels, its easy enough to "move" this hole by cutting the boss out and re welding it in the correct place using the engine as a jig.

as far as clutch arrangement. i havent really thought that far ahead, i would have expected the 3sge clutch to work just using the release bearing from the gearbox. here in australia its not really an issue to have a clutch "custom built" so i hadnt really looked into that to be honest as it wont be much of a hurdle.

with some parts book X referencing though, you should be able to work it out.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gearbox mount and transmission mount gh0st 9 2,613 05-08-2022 03:28 PM
Last Post: totta Crolla
  Gearbox and Diff options MIGGZFSU 35 24,492 03-26-2017 12:00 AM
Last Post: MIGGZFSU
  T50 gearbox - TRD 2nd and 3rd gear hachirokkos 3 6,044 11-27-2015 10:06 AM
Last Post: Project D
  Gearbox Lexus IS 200 Anonymous 6 5,445 05-14-2010 06:45 PM
Last Post: Hiryuu
  Is there a How to: for changing gearbox and LSD oil? mykkk 10 7,660 04-26-2005 11:18 PM
Last Post: Knudsen