$300, 193,000 miles, and spraypaint.
01-22-2007, 08:02 AM
This is my new AE86. Really, It's an 86 based only on VIN #. It's a 5spd, carburated 4A (8 valve?) with around 80HP & open diff. Luckily, I only paid $300 for it. Unluckily, that's a month's wages. This is my new - ultra low budget project. It also happens to be my first car. First thing is, the body panels are pretty beat up. Some are missing bolts, some have broken mounts, some have un-sanded bondo... Hopefully I can get my camera working so I can have more pictures as it progresses - slowly.

Seeing as I am a n00b, (omg big shocker), I really don't know much about details of how an engine really works. I know intake and exhaust, compression (that it exists, but ratios - ha.) how pistons work and all that jazz. I have a vague idea of how the transmission works, and the diff, the exhaust, steering. I have a broad range of knowledge - but it's very shallow. So I'm basically here for help. I'll take detailed pictures of things that look off, or thatI know are wrong, and ask for help here. No one has to help of course - but you'd be keeping another 86 alive if you did. Thumbs up!

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
01-22-2007, 08:20 AM
welcome, sounds like you got yourself an sr5 like me Tongue

anyway I'd be happy to help, as much as I can.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-22-2007, 10:35 AM
Heya Wolf,

Most of us started out just like you, so no worries thereBig Grin

Damn that car looks like someone mistreated it allright... Time to start stripping and finding out whats underneath it all. Do you have any space for something like that? You really should start with pulling some of the interiour out, the bumpers off, the lights off and all that sorta thing. A lift to check the underside of the car would be very important too.
This car looks like the body really needs to be looked at first. Seeing your remark of what you paid for for the car a nice respray for the time being is out of the question I guess so it will be important to remove as much rust as you can and put a thick coat of some sort of paint on so that by the time you do have the money to spray your car, it won't be all rusted away.

If its still running I wouldn't worry to much about the engine. Those things will last and last. First make sure that cars gonne be a keeper. Does look like you got a good find though. I see some bad spots on the pictures, but at the same time, some of the major headache parts seem to be good. Need better pictures to say for sure though.

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
01-22-2007, 11:50 AM
what mux said : first fix the bodywork, engine will last longer than the body if you ignore it Smile

and no worry's alot of people here are happy to help you out with wathever problem you have :wink:

everybody was a n00b at some point Tongue
01-22-2007, 03:59 PM
Space might be a problem. If you look in the 2nd picture you can see that across the road there, is my driveway, filled with cars. I have a big backyard where I'd have plenty of space - but the gate is blocked by a boat, and an FB RX-7. We don't have a vehicle that could move the boat, and the FB doesn't run. Argh. The interior is actually pretty perfect, except someone jacked my radio -_-

I was wondering about zipties, if I could use them to help hold some of the loose-ish body panels in place? How strong are they? The car holds up by itself well enough - I drove it home 65 miles at around 80mph the whole way. But I'd like it if they didn't poke out everywhere XD

I'll get some pictures of the wheel wells and loose panels when it stops raining.
01-22-2007, 06:37 PM
Wow... That's some project you've got there. Wink

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - $300, 193,000 miles, and spraypaint.]
01-22-2007, 06:48 PM
To many toys to play with?Big Grin

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
01-22-2007, 06:49 PM
welcome to the 4AC club :wink:

86ers.org
AE86 x GXE10
01-23-2007, 02:12 AM
Thanks, that the 4AC has stood up to how I've driven it so far is awesome. I probably shouldn't be doing clutch kicks in the parking lot though XD

Oh, and I had a question about my FB as well. What all would be compatible with my SR5? I heard somewhere I could use the springs, I'm pretty sure the RX-7 has an LSD (I've never driven it, it was parked soon after my 2nd birthday or so), so what about that? The rear disks? Transmission? ...... Engine?

If I could get the 12A in the hachi I would probably have the only rotary powered 86 in the world Huh
01-23-2007, 03:50 AM
well, I've seen another rotary AE86

I dont know too much about transferring the rx-7's springs and driveline to the ae86.

and to get the 12A in the hatch may include you fabricating engine mounts.