20v Silver Top Head on my block?
03-25-2013, 09:36 AM
I have a 4AGE 16v Engine.. (red top) can i put the 20v Silver top head on it with ease? Pros and Cons? Help please, Newbie here Respect!
Find all posts by this user
03-25-2013, 10:26 AM
Stay with 16V.
You can put 20V, but you need lots of money, knowledge and tiem to gain something out of it.
03-25-2013, 01:49 PM
agreed just stick with the 16V head and use your money for better tuning Thumbs up!
05-15-2013, 02:35 PM
I too would stick with the 16v engine. the 20v will bolt up. it will change your compression with both silvertop and blacktop but not the same way for both. the black top head will decrease compression since the combustion chambers are bigger. the silver top is just the opposite since the combustion chambers are smaller. you will have to either cut or beat the firewall to make room for the distributor or you will have to get a distributorless system and cap off the distributor. you will have to change wiring harness to match the 20v. you would also have to modify your exhaust mani or get a header that is made to run RWD 20v. you will have to reroute your coolant lines since the 20v is in FWD config. you will also have to change the crank timing cog to the 20v since i believe they are different and have to be used to match the 20v cam gears. im sure there is more but that is what i can think of off hand.

what red top do you have? is it small port? if so that is the best na 16v head IMO

i [color=red:b86a4369c5]<3[/color:b86a4369c5] AE86
05-15-2013, 07:25 PM
Not sure what engine`s already in your car so I`ll try to cover a little both aspects here:

Modifying a header for 20v head (To clear the rear-side water block-off and make some space for the bolt) is a 30 minute job with a grinder, make sure you do not grind too much, and properly test fit with all 4 pipes bolted on instead of just holding it on and eyeballing it.

Theres a bunchload of alternatives to route the water.
You can go with the 16v water routing (And keep the heater), this doesnt have to cost a lot of money, you can use the dremel to create a channel between the rear water-holes and make your own rear bypass plate and use the existing 16v RWD rear water neck with that, thus keep the heater, and make your own rear-side block-off plate.
Or you can get SamQ`s rear bypass plate (This is a bit thicker but will fit with EDM RWD AE86) or you can go with T3`s bit of kit, etc, lots of alternatives out there.

You need silvertop pistons and headgasket, keep your redtop conrods as they can handle around 200hp at the crank, give or take.

You need a complete Blacktop wiring harness and Blacktop ECU (Preferably A/T for better ignition curve) Blacktop MAP sensor.

And you need a 2-wire intake air temperature sensor (90`s corolla at the scrapper) and Distributor relocation kit (SamQ) or wire it all up for Cop`s.

You also need early-style oil filter bolt (Install oil filter straight at the block) or oil filter relocation kit (With 3/16" UNF bolt)

Grab a 4-wire 02 sensor from 4A/4E/7A 90`s Rolla at the scrapyard and have someone bung-weld your header.

Get a ITG filter and a backplate from SamQ (No need to build your own)

You need 16v water temp sender on your head water outtake (Also, RWD outtake wont fit AE101/AE111 head), and oil pressure sender to hook up GTS oil-press gauge or you can use SR5 instrument panel with oil-press light and a normal oil-pressure switch.

The AE92 head is just as potent but can also be expensive, if you go for keeping your AE92 head and rather spend your money on AE101 ITB`s (200-300 USD) w/Trigger pulley (100USD) and ford EDIS (20-30 USD) ECU for around 600 USD, port matching and head decking around 250-300E, a set of good cams and valvetrain 450E+pistons 700E and balance block internals yourself.

Or you can get a complete AE101 Silvertop, sell your AE92 redtop engine to finance RWD converting the Silvertop.

Also, stack socks are terrible, use proper air filter (And certainly dont drive around without).

1x AE86 84` Zenki Coupè Levin 4A-GE 20v
1x AE86 83' Zenki Coupe Levin 4A-GE 16v
1x TA60 82' Sedan 2T 8V
1x TA40 78` MK1 Zenk/Pre-Facelift Wagon 4A-GE 16v
05-17-2013, 10:39 PM
Guys ..... am I not reading correctly or is no one talking about switching pistons ? 20V pistons are different.

Cars:
"99 Lexus IS200
"86 AE86 Kouki Panda Levin GT-Apex (restore project)
"84 AE86 Zenki Blue Levin (project racer)
Motorcycles:
"02 Yamaha R1
"02 Honda Hornet S
"08 BMW R1200GS
05-17-2013, 10:52 PM
why do the trouble?Tongue
with the money you will need to make this work you can buy a very nice 16v engine
05-18-2013, 08:34 PM
robokill Wrote:Guys ..... am I not reading correctly or is no one talking about switching pistons ? 20V pistons are different.
Rascal mentioned that already.
But it is a good point... Wink

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - 20v Silver Top Head on my block?]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user