1985 AE86 SR5 project- Don't have the time
08-31-2006, 07:36 PM
Hey all, I'm new to the forum and know this probably belongs in another forum but this post doesn't really fit the mold for any one specific forum.

To make a long story short, I bought a 1985 AE86 from a Joe Schmoe about two years ago and began working on it with a good friend of mine with big expectations. I was only 21 at the time and working a part-time job, living at home, and had a lot of time to put into her.

Over the first summer we rebuilt the head of the 4-AC, replaced all the valve seats and buffed the carbon deposits off the valves, and replaced a broken valve. We replaced the clutch master cylinder and were in the middle of replacing the carbuerator when my friend's father passed away.

To make a long story short, he's in college and I have a full time job. His house is being sold in the next few months and I'm loathe to junk my baby. I never even got close to finishing up that project, but I don't want to scrap this car. I want to know if anyone can give this car a good home.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to sell this car in the General forum. I just want to find someone who will take her in and finish up what we started. If you can really convince me you will try to get her moving again I will GIVE you this car.

I live in Rhode Island, USA. You can contact me at [email protected] via email and I'll be glad to furnish my home phone number and arrange a meeting. I am not interested in people who want it as a second, 'parts car', or to resell it.

She needs a new carbuerator and exhaust system (the pipes were fucked up by the last owner - a ricer), and there is a little bit of rot on the trunk and around the rear wheel wells. She has a new clutch, new valve seals, and a rebuilt engine. 130k miles on the engine. The car was stolen once and recovered; the ignition was busted out with a screwdriver and needs to be replaced. Also, the doors were keyed but I think it will buff out.

I hope someone nearby can take her in. It would be harsh to have to scrap this vehicle for like $20 worth of scrap metal.
Find all posts by this user
08-31-2006, 08:13 PM
well... what style is it, Levin or Trueno?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-31-2006, 08:15 PM
Hey man,

Giving the car away? Check around, even with broken engine these cars still sell for $500 - $1000 USD. Sure its only an SR5 but if the body is good enough, its worth the energy to fix her up. Real shame you can't finish it, it really sounds you were well on your way to making this car run again.

Real shame I live overseas, I'd be at your doorstep in seconds and have that baby running in no time Big Grin Good luck finding her a new home. I do suggest you may just wanne first see if you can just find someone who lives in your neighberhood who's simply willing to help you put her together. I don't know how far you took her appart but if its just the engine it shouldn't be more then a few nights of work to have her running if you have the parts.

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
08-31-2006, 08:53 PM
That's a few nights I don't really have, unfortunately. And with my extreme lack of experience, what takes you a night takes me at least three, I guarantee.

Around these parts you don't really see these cars. New England is really devoid of real automobile hobbyists, one of the main reasons I don't have the drive to finish up. It's kind of like getting all dressed up with no place to go.
09-01-2006, 12:14 AM
Well I'm learning as I go aswell you knowBig Grin
It helps alot when you have someone around who knows what he's doing though. Still if no-one like thats around then I guess you get stuck easily...

Still I'd say, just hang on to the car until you do have time or make sure you give it to some one who's really gonne make something good out of itBig Grin

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Best thing I have done to my car yet! phill 92 7 6,988 07-16-2012 02:19 PM
Last Post: gt4st205
  say what ! ... a must have to your collection! ae86driftmaster 7 7,647 09-21-2010 06:49 PM
Last Post: ae86driftmaster
  DIFFERENCE BETWEEN HATCHBACK SR5 AND HATCHBACK GTS???? JVAE86 5 6,261 08-21-2010 09:34 PM
Last Post: banpei
  86 sr5 newbie HELP! ten86 4 4,993 04-27-2008 12:43 PM
Last Post: banpei
  hi aeu86 forums. i'm a noob and i have questions. ddldave 5 5,332 09-19-2007 09:17 AM
Last Post: Mux213