01-04-2013, 10:55 AM

Hmmm I checked out the thread most of the pics dont load for me.

Curious about how far out the track was pushed? Any geometry lessons about your setup? Any other hints?
Find all posts by this user
01-11-2013, 06:49 AM

Ok so I have a plan of attack for the front.

I am going to keep the AE86 front suspension and swap out the TRD setup for the T3 coilover weld on kit, keep the TRD shock. Change to the longer T3 tie rod end (I have the T3 LCA already), get the alloy hub that has 10mm of extra offset, and with all that I can get the total track width right and can keep the Wilwood brake etc setup.
01-11-2013, 07:00 AM

Oh and would there be any way to convert the rear with the S13 setup and retain the TRD shock? Just keen for the same shocks all round...
01-11-2013, 09:58 AM

The suspension motion ratio's change and the unsprung weight does as well. Those are mayor influences on the required spring rate and damping curve.
So depending on how big the change in those variables is, it might not be usefull to stick to stock dampers. You might have better luck with S13 stuff.

Switching from TRD to real shocks will nett you 2 secs per lap and easier driveability. Take a look at what the front runners use in Japan. Even TRD doesn't use their commercial stuff.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
01-11-2013, 10:33 AM

I would go to a bilstein shock for example but I have no idea in the valving I need...

What are you recommending out of interest?
01-11-2013, 01:29 PM

bilstein in front and koni in the back is what i use.
After some tips here on the forum i asked a shop to make them since its so complicated.
I asked a shop to make mine here in belgium and i am very happy with it so far.
01-11-2013, 05:57 PM

Calculating what you need is complicated.

Best you can do is find a local company that has a 'guy' that can choose a valving based purely on experience. Though I have serious doubts about that working in practice (from my discussions and experiences in damper-walhalla Holland).

The other option is finding something close to your needs with a wide adjustment window and working adjuster (adjuster works in the right direction, all adjusters work the same way, every click covers a similar part of the range). In practice only decent shocks fullfil the first criterion (koni and similar) and only the very best shocks (Ohlins, Penske, Bilstein ASN, etc) will fullfill the second and third requirements.

That's why I wouldn't change the rear setup. For the stock setup there is known to work valving you can build on. For custom stuff you're on your own. Particularly for a car that has seen little use for timed events (S13).

By the way, driving on the good stuff is like magic. Patches of asfalt that used to get the car out of shape leave it undisturbed with great shocks. You shave 2secs of your pace while driving at what feels like 80% of the previous effort. Its relaxing Smile

My best bet at an of the shelf setup would be:
Keep the live axle, don't add a turbo, order N2 spec ennepetal 36mm Bilstein coilovers front and rear. Enjoy

01-11-2013, 10:53 PM

NoHachi Wrote:Calculating what you need is complicated.

Best you can do is find a local company that has a 'guy' that can choose a valving based purely on experience. Though I have serious doubts about that working in practice (from my discussions and experiences in damper-walhalla Holland).

The other option is finding something close to your needs with a wide adjustment window and working adjuster (adjuster works in the right direction, all adjusters work the same way, every click covers a similar part of the range). In practice only decent shocks fullfil the first criterion (koni and similar) and only the very best shocks (Ohlins, Penske, Bilstein ASN, etc) will fullfill the second and third requirements.

That's why I wouldn't change the rear setup. For the stock setup there is known to work valving you can build on. For custom stuff you're on your own. Particularly for a car that has seen little use for timed events (S13).

By the way, driving on the good stuff is like magic. Patches of asfalt that used to get the car out of shape leave it undisturbed with great shocks. You shave 2secs of your pace while driving at what feels like 80% of the previous effort. Its relaxing Smile

My best bet at an of the shelf setup would be:
Keep the live axle, don't add a turbo, order N2 spec ennepetal 36mm Bilstein coilovers front and rear. Enjoy

Yeah I will look for a local expert.

I have never seen the Bilstein N2 coilovers? I did a search and couldnt find them, have you got a link?
01-11-2013, 11:06 PM

http://www.ennepetal.co.jp/

01-11-2013, 11:26 PM

http://www.ennepetal.co.jp/01ss/poline/t...page5.html

Hmm they only seem to do the fronts for the AE86?