01-02-2013, 07:14 PM

Interference can be worked around. If you want to tie the sub frames into the cage you're looking at vast amounts of fab work either way. Dunno, if I was to do this I would want all of the possible advantages. Otherwise its a lot of work for minimal gain.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
Find all posts by this user
01-02-2013, 07:31 PM

NoHachi Wrote:Interference can be worked around. If you want to tie the sub frames into the cage you're looking at vast amounts of fab work either way. Dunno, if I was to do this I would want all of the possible advantages. Otherwise its a lot of work for minimal gain.

I understand but the interference we're talking about is not a small bit by a mile if you compare it to the work needed on the blue/green swap linked above compared to this picture (red would be the position of the MX5 frame)

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

AE86 ex-daily
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-02-2013, 09:38 PM

I know bean, but trust me, it can be done and will work well. If you want to see examples try googling for Datsun truck miata. Its the rear that's easiest actually.

And its better then the S13, which was a dog to begin with :-p

Ninja edit: http://community.ratsun.net/topic/7446-p...op-secret/

01-03-2013, 07:49 AM

NoHachi Wrote:I know bean, but trust me, it can be done and will work well. If you want to see examples try googling for Datsun truck miata. Its the rear that's easiest actually.

And its better then the S13, which was a dog to begin with :-p

Ninja edit: http://community.ratsun.net/topic/7446-p...op-secret/

Toyota slogan Wrote:Nothing is impossible

Incredible build you found there and I agree it can be done but again the major difference is this:
[Image: AEU86 AE86 -  ]
He didn't need to cut the main chassis beam completly apart to fit the rear as on a pickup they are flatish (in his case go up slightly) whereas on the AE86 the go up, just where the axle should be by 250+mm. This isn't the same as cutting into the thin floor to fit equal lenght 4arms. We're talking about completly rerouting the framerails in the area of the rear seats. Still need to look through the whole thread you linked to but as said impressive work.

On another note, how much can the MX5 diff take in abuse and power/torque?

AE86 ex-daily
01-03-2013, 08:15 AM

The MX5 diff is weak... some swap them for RX7 diffs.
01-03-2013, 08:17 AM

I guess if I was starting my build from scratch I would do a full space frame and custom everything, but since I am way in the hole on the current car, I really want to go the path of "least" resistance, and do the best I can with the chassis rails I have.
01-03-2013, 11:27 AM

The 1.8 MX5 diff is rock solid. Its the same diff used in the S2000 and RX8 and will handle anything bar a LS6 swap. 300whp is well within the limits of the stock diff and there are tons of track cars that run reliably at this hp level.

Path of least resistance would first pass 275 slicks , splitter, wing and possibly a flatbody/diffuser. shocks-> decent stuff, nothing JDM. Data acquisition (accelerometer, suspension pots and wheel angle sensor).

01-03-2013, 12:16 PM

When I go 7AGTE it will be 5-600WHP.

I am already running a front flat body thats attached to the front bumper.

Shocks and springs are TRD but will move to KW when I go S13.

Agree, I still have a lot of development to go Smile
01-04-2013, 07:53 AM

I've done the s14 front and rear conversion on my drift car.
Handling is now more like nissan and less "hachi" but that is OK for drifting.
Check my project or just ask for details you need.

Drifting - best fun you can have in your car with your pants on!
01-04-2013, 09:17 AM

Thanks ZaX ill check it out Smile Great to have your experience.